Here are the details of maps for Hayes:
Until the end of the 18th century this was a completely rural area, but the development of brickmaking and then the arrival of the railway stimulated growth. But the real turning point came in 1899 when the Hayes Development Co acquired land near the railway and laid out roads for industry. Our map - covering an area a mile by a mile and a half - shows the result, with numerous factories close to Hayes & Harlington station and the Grand Junction Canal. These include the Hayes Cocoa Co, taken over by Nestle in 1929, and the Gramophone Co (soon part of EMI). Factories are also shown for potato crisps, postage stamps, chairs and cheese. Elsewhere on the map development continues to the south, the start of the Paddington Branch canal is shown, and there are still some orchards or market gardens. The population of Hayes UD rose from 2,594 in 1901 to about 31,000 by 1935 and this busy map, with its comprehensive introduction by John Griffiths, helps show why.
The map links up with Middlesex Sheets 14.16 West Drayton to the west, 15.14 Southall Green to the east.
Follow this link for a list of our maps for the London Borough of Hillingdon, or here for a complete list of our London maps .
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for England, return to the England page.Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / email@example.com / 23 May 2011