Here are the details of maps for Denton:
We have published two versions of this map, showing how the area developed across the years. The maps cover the central area of Denton, with Haughton to the east, with coverage stretching from Holland Street and Windmill Lane eastward to Kingston Mills; and from St Lawrence's church northward to Audenshaw cemetery.
Features include tramways and depot, St Anne's church, Broomstair Bridge, River Tame, Peak Forest Canal, numerous small works such as hat manufactories, Victoria Iron Works, Market Place, Town Hall, Christ Church, Kingston Bridge, Broomstair Mill, Planet Foundry, Wellington Fur Works etc.
The map links up with Lancashire Sheets 105.10 Guide Bridge to the north, 105.13 Denton West to the west, 112.02 South Denton to the south; also with Cheshire sheet 11.01 Hyde to the east.
Denton, which had absorbed Haughton, was an independent urban district from 1894 to 1974, when it was swallowed up by Tameside. It was above all celebrated for its hatmaking, with several 'Hat Manufactories' dotted around this map, but there was also engineering and coal-mining. Though poorly served by the railways and canals, Denton was on major tram routes, with services to Manchester, Ashton and Hyde. Perhaps more surprisingly, the map includes four Anglican churches, all of them interesting, with the unusual half-timbered church of St Lawrence and the remarkable St Anne's, a tour de force from the architects Medland and Henry Taylor. To the north of the town, just across the border with Audenshaw, St Hilda's church was run by a maverick priest, Father Rowland Jones, who wrote for the Daily Herald and regularly incurred the wrath of his bishop.
"A fourth Anglican church, serving northern parts of Denton and the Hooley Hill area, is just across the border with Audenshaw. This had begun as a Sunday School and mission in Hooley Hill in the 1860s but in 1924 a new district of St Hilda’s, Audenshaw was created and the church shown here was built. This was a modest wood and asbestos building in a ‘half-timbered’ style, as if in tribute to St Lawrence’s, but in 1936 it was burnt down. “Never tell me again that asbestos is non-inflammable. It roared out into a pyrotechnic display, to a tremendous cracking. In less than half an hour the building was razed to the ground”, wrote Father Rowland Jones. It was replaced by today’s solidly brick building, consecrated on 26th February 1938 and built with funds energetically raised by Jones, incumbent from 1930-52, and a committed Socialist who wrote regular articles for the Daily Herald."