Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Hertfordshire

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Hertford (South):

  • Hertfordshire Sheet 29.15 Hertford (South) 1897 - published 1988; intro by Pamela Taylor. ISBN.978-0-85054-158-8

    The Map of Hertford South shows little of the industrial town. The majority the map, particularly the bottom and the right of the map, is predominately agricultural land, with only Little Amwell and Balls Park being present in an otherwise featureless area of the map. However, the top of the map is a hive of activity, with the close and numerous houses suggesting the industrial nature of the northern part of the town. The key features, just below the main residential areas, are All Saints' Church and Hereford Castle which dates back to Norman times. The river Lea is seen running through the town, providing natural protection to the castle from its Northern side. To the left of the map is Horn's Leather Mill which provides the key feature and other points of interest include Wallfield House, Mangrove Hall and the southernmost part of a Militia Barracks. On the reverse side is a historical introduction of South Hertford provided by Pamela Taylor.


    Follow this link for a complete list of our Hertfordshire Series maps or go to the Chilterns page for other counties in the region.

    You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page


    Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for England, return to the England page.

    The Godfrey Edition / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 6 October 2016