Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Cumberland

  • These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
  • They are available through our On-line Mapshop

  • Here are the details of maps for Nenthead:

  • Cumberland Sheet 34.15 Nenthead 1898 - published 2007; intro by Alan Godfrey. ISBN.978-1-84784-057-8

    This detailed map is double-sided for maximum coverage. It covers the village of Nenthead which in the 19th century grew into a mining town of over 2,000 people, developed by the Quaker London Lead Company, and with pensions, education and health resources that foreshadowed the Welfare State. By the time of this map it was in rapid decline, and during the 20th century the population sank to around 350. The main map covers the northern part of the village, including Whitehall, Holmsfoot, Wellgill Dykehead, Brownleyhill Dressingfloor, Greenends, Foulard, and stretching east to Haggs Mine and Nentsberry. On the reverse is a large section of adjacent sheet 42.03 which covers the village centre and the Rampgill Mine, part of which forms today's Nenthead Mines Heritage Centre.


    Follow this link for a complete list of our Cumberland Series maps.

    You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.


    Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for England, return to the England page.

    Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / sales@alangodfreymaps.co.uk / 25 June 2010