Here are the details of maps for Esh:
This detailed map is double-sided for maximum coverage. It covers the area from Esh Laude and Esh, eastward to Ushaw College.
Features on the main map include Esh Laude, St Michael's RC Chapel, old drift mines, Esh village, Esh Hall, St Michael's church, Cross Keys inn, High Finings, Low Esh, Groove Bank, Langley Park Hospital, Hilltop Colliery.
On the reverse we include a good section of adjacent sheet 19.15, covering Hill Top hamlet, Board Inn, Ushaw Farm, Ushaw College.
The most notable feature on this map is Ushaw College, opened in the early 19th century following the abandonment of Douai College in the Napoleonic wars. This remained a major Catholic seminary until closure in 2011. The complex, which is now open to the public, includes major architectural work by the Pugin and Hansom families, St Cuthbert's Chapel, designed by Archibald Dunn and Edward Hansom, the 'Racket Courts' where the students devised their game of 'Cat', and numerous smaller and often exquisite side chapels. Our map also includes the looming presence of Ushaw Farm, designed by Joseph Hansom but now dilapidated, and extends along the ridge to include Hill Top, where a major colliery would be developed, and the attractive village of Esh, centre for a large parish.
"Whellan tells us that 'Esh anciently gave its name to a resident family, who possessed lands here for many generations, but the male line became extinct in the time of Henry VIII'. The Esh estate passed to the Smythes c.1560 when Margaret de Esh, daughter of Anthony de Esh, married William Smythe, member of a strongly Catholic family from Nunstainton, near Sedgefield. During the Civil War the Smythes remained loyal Royalists, with their lands sequestrated in 1644, but with the Restoration of Charles II they were rewarded when Edward Smythe was created a Baronet. He married Mary Lee, an heiress, of Acton Burnell in Shropshire, which would become the family’s principal seat, with both the 6th and 7th Baronets serving as High Sheriffs of that county. At the time of our map the estate was held by Sir Charles Frederick Joseph Smythe, 7th Baronet (1819-97). The baronetcy became extinct in 1942 with the death of the 9th Baronet."