Clackmannanshire is where it all began for us in Scotland. In 1983 Alloa Library contacted us, asking whether we would like to publish some maps for Clackmannanshire, "The Wee County". We quickly brought out a map for Alloa and this was such a success that we went ahead and brought out 4 more titles. Jean Peacock, local studies librarian at Alloa, wrote a historical introduction to each one. However, several of the titles are now out of print; we would, of course, be interested in reprinting some or all if there was sufficient demand. Maps are available through our On-line Mapshop.
Here are the detailed maps for the county published in The Godfrey Edition. Links are given to information pages for the maps still in print.
You might find this basic Index Map useful.
A little about the towns: Alva is a planned mill town which was developed from the late 18th century; with numerous mills it had grown to a population of some 5,000 by the time of our map, and even had its own railway branch, of which the terminus is shown here; the map just reaches the Devon colliery. On the reverse are smaller maps for the villages of Menstrie and Tullibody, the first with mills, the second with a large tannery.
Dollar is effectively two towns, the old town, beneath the glen and castle, and, further down the Dollar Burn, the new town, developed after the Dollar Institution or Academy had been opened in 1819. The town grew further after the arrival of the Devon Valley railway. On the reverse is a smaller map, for the Perthshire village of Muckart.
Alloa is our main map in the county, and is double-sided, showing as much of the town as possible. The main map covers the heart of the town with its railway station and several industrial tramways; Carsebridge Distillery; and stretching to Inglewood and Keilarsbrae. The backing map covers Alloa Harbour with its shipyards and other industry, along with the ferry across to South Alloa.
Clackmannan was a King's Seat from the time of David I, the nearby forests providing ideal hunting. However, it gradually declined in importance, in 1822 finally losing its Sherriff court to Alloa. The map shows it as a tiny town, but railway historians will find two stations here, plus a long tramway to Craigrie quarry. On the reverse is a map of the Fifeshire town of Kincardine, with its ropery, shipping pier, and little railway terminus.
The maps cost just £ 2.50 each. You can now order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop. For other information and postage costs, see Index Page and Ordering Information Page.
Most maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile. For a full list of maps for Scotland, go to the Scotland page
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW. Tel 01207 583388