Old Ordnance Survey Maps of County Durham
These detailed maps normally cover an area of about one and a half miles by one mile. Each map includes an introduction.
They are available through our On-line Mapshop
Here are the details of maps for Chester-le-Street:
Co Durham 13.09a Chester-le-Street 1895 - published 1993; intro by David Butler. ISBN.978-0-85054-593-7
Co Durham 13.09b Chester-le-Street 1915 - published 2020; intro by Alan Godfrey. ISBN.978-1-78721-342-5
Each map is double-sided for maximum coverage.
The main map covers the centre and north of the town, with coverage extending north to Pelaw Farm and Pelaw House, westward to Stellagill Wood,
and eastward to The Haughs. Features (taken from the 1915 version) include Chester Bridge, most of Front Street, Hop Garth, North and South Burns, Motor Bus Depot, Brewery,
Infectious Diseases Hospital, Pelaw House, South Pelaw Colliery, High Flatts, NER Annfield Plain Branch, NER Pontop & South Shields Branch,
On the reverse we include a large portion of adjacent sheet 13.13 extending coverage southward to include railway station, St Mary & St Cuthbert church, cemetery,
site of Roman station, Chester le Street Union Workhouse, St Cuthbert's RC church, Empire Theatre etc
The map links up with Durham Sheet 12.12 Pelton Fell to the west.
Follow this link for a complete list of our Durham maps.
You can order maps direct from our On-line Mapshop.
For other information and prices, and other areas, go to The Index Page.
Maps in the Godfrey Edition are taken from the 25 inch to the mile map and reduced to about 15 inches to the mile.
For a full list of maps for England, return to the England page.
Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, Co Durham, DH8 7PW / firstname.lastname@example.org / 23 July 2020